Monday, April 21

Mixed Media, SAY WHAT?

What is mixed media?

Wikipedia says:

Mixed media, in visual art, refers to an artwork in the making of which more than one medium has been employed.
There is an important distinctions between "mixed media" artworks and "multimedia art". Mixed media tends to refer to a work of visual art that combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage could properly be called a "mixed media" work - but not a work of "multimedia art." The term multimedia art implies a broader scope than mixed media, combining visual art with non-visual elements (such as recorded sound, for example) or with elements of the other arts (such as literature, drama, dance, motion graphics, music, or interactivity).

Wikipedia is so smart. Well I think mixed media is my favorite, because it can be anything you want it to be. I love how there isn't any formal definition of it that restricts what it can be. It's great for brainstorming and getting inspired when you need the motivation. I started mixing my media to achieve a more dynamic and three dimensional feel to my work. I love texture and discovered by layering my paper, glue and paint I was able to create work I was very proud of and had a blast making.

I was working on a project for my art group and the theme was "Metamorphosis". The slide show below is what I created using paper, glue and paint. I was inspired mostly by the color of the paper and then I slung glue on top creating a web to hold down the paper. I finished the work by splattering thinned oil paint all over. It was really fun! HELPFUL HINT - When working with Mod Podge I feel the 1 inch wide sponge brush works much better than a traditional brush. Try it out!

No comments: