Monday, April 4

Art Crawl's Fashion Finds A New Nashville Style

Last Saturday night, my fabulous photographer friend, Jill Batson, and I set out to find the best dressed in Nashville at the Downtown Art Crawl.


I chose Art Crawl as the perfect evening to find new and interesting fashion trends because the crowd that collects around 5th Avenue for the Arts is extremely diverse from hipsters to old rich people and everyone else in between. It didn't take long to run right into what we were looking for -- those who were fashion forward and not afraid to wear what our Mother's don't understand.

Kat Dickie at Tinney Contemporary
I am by no means a fashion expert, but I started playing dress up at a very young age and fell in love with clothes and accessories before I could talk. After high school I worked in a designer resale shop for three years in Texas called IZ Fashions, learning labels and putting together outrageous outfits for window displays. It was a fashion fantasy world and still today I long for playing dress up in designer clothes.

Musician, Jonathan Griscom and artist, Dean Tomasek
Inspired by Nashville's Fashion Week, I wanted to find what real people wear when they go out and I'm not the only one who wonders this -- Nashville fashion blogger, Heidi Jewell's eye for street style was recently mentioned on CNN.com.

When I'd ask, Where do you like to shop? All the answers started sounding the same. Everyone said, Thrift stores! Some favorites mentioned are vintage thrift stop, Goodbuy Girls in East Nashville and the local designer hot spot, Local Honey in the Belmont-Hillsboro area.

Katha Harris
If you're not sure where to start shopping in Nashville, check out this awesome online shop directory called, NashVintage and if you're not sure what to shop for, I noticed some of the hottest trends for Spring are floral sun dresses, lace tights, ankle boots, hats, scarfs and large jewel toned necklaces.

I hand picked a few items from Etsy.com below, so you can see examples and ideas to start your new Nashville look.  Click the caption for more.

Hat with feather, Hat with jewels, Hat with flower
Floral dress 1, Floral dress 2, Floral dress 3
Black lace leggings, Pink floral leggings, Pink and black floral leggings
Tan ankle boots, Camel ankle boots, Brown ankle boots
Emerald jewel necklace, Aqua jewel necklace, Pink jewel necklace
Pink scarf, Green and white scarf, Rainbow scarf

Thank you for reading!  Please share, leave a comment and email me at beth@binglishART.com with your own fashion forward ideas.

Photos by Jill Batson Photography 2011.  All rights reserved.

5 comments:

NorwegianWood said...

Thanks so much for including my leggings in this roundup, so sweet of you!

Kim said...

Awesome post! I love the look ideas! Thank you so very much for including my dress!:)

Secret Jewellz said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. Coming from Australia it lets me see what is going on in other parts of the world.

Thanks so much also for including my necklace.

Tennessee Carpet Cleaning said...

It is so unique how Nashville has sort of combined the current with the traditional, in such a way that they just meld together :-) I am very pleased by the combination...

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for commenting!

Nashville is a very unique town full of creativity and I'm so grateful I can share it with you all!! :)