Wednesday, December 28

Baby, You're A Firework

It's that time a year when everyone starts looking towards the future and mentally writes a list of the things they want to change after the champagne's drunk and the sun comes up on January 1.

The problem with this traditional approach is that every New Year we start with our minds focused on the negative asking ourselves, "What haven't I done?" vs. "What have I accomplished?"

This idea really hit me after I read artist and author, Alyson Stanfield's newsletter, "Acknowledge and Celebrate Your 2011 Accomplishments."  She asked questions such as:
Who were the top ten cool or influential people you met?
What did you try that was completely new?
What did you try that was uncomfortable but helped you grow?
What organizations were you involved with?  Who did you help?
What resources did you discover?
What medium or skill did you attempt or master?
What seminars/workshops/lectures did you attend or teach?
What technological skills did you learn or improve?
Who shared or featured your work?
What was the single best thing that happened to your career in 2011?
The article inspired me to reflect the past year and it caused my mind to shift, thinking of my accomplishments first and my failures last.  So I challenge you this week as the New Year approaches to think about what you've achieved.  Celebrate the small things and keep moving forward with your optimism leading the way.

Below are a few items from Etsy.com that I hope will spark some inspiration and light you up for the New Year, cause Baby, You're A Firework!  Happy New Year!

Black and Gold Sequin Dress, Black and Silver Sequin Dress
Embellished Leggings, Gold Sequin Top, Guitar Ring
Firework Clock, Kiss Don't Talk Poster
2012 Calendar, Happy New Year Note Cards
Kiss Earrings, Fireworks Photo Print
Organic Cotton Baby Onesie, Black Leather Brooch

1 comment:

Nashville Carpet Cleaners said...

I think it's better to think about the positives than the negatives. Here's to a brighter next year!